Power Electronics, Components and Modules
Assessment of Quality and Reliability
● Electrical Measurements (e.g. verification of characteristic datasheet specifications),
● thermal measurements (e.g. by infrared thermography):
● static thermal resistance (mW...kW),
● heating behavior,
● transient heat distribution (thermal impedance),
● power cycle tests up to 2000 A,
● temperature cycles.
Material related evaluation of electronic assemblies
● analysis of thermo-mechanical behavior,
● description of damage mechanisms, failure analysis and damage level evaluation in solder joints and bond contacts by metallurgical methods.
Evaluation of Reliability and Lifetime Prediction
● product lifetime prediction based on observed damage mechanisms,
● transfer of mission profile under actual operating conditions (active and passive temperature changes) to test cycles.
● simulation of the heat balance (components, modules and assemblies),
● modelling of static thermal resistance,
● modelling of transient heat distribution (heating behavior),
● modelling of mechanical loads due to material incompatibility
(thermo-mechanical mismatch, warpage of layer composites, solder creeping),
● heat sink calculation, e.g. dimensioning of air- and liquid coolers,
● evaluation of cooling concept efficiency.
Development of Assembly Concepts
● optimisation of thermal resistance,
● evaluation of relevant characteristics in production quality and reliability,
● prototype manufacturing,
● power balling.